Sehr geehrte Gäste,
liebe Freunde der Gastronomie an Bord der Seute Deern.
Nach dem Brand am 15. Februar 2019 wurde die Gastronomie leider dauerhaft geschlossen. Wir hoffen, Sie an unserem neuen Standort, dem Wulsdorfer Buernhus ab 1. Oktober wieder begrüßen zu dürfen. Es gibt bereits jetzt großes Interesse. Deshalb können Sie Reservierungswünsche direkt mit Herrn Schmidt ( 0176 8454 2957) besprechen, oder wie gehabt im Menüpunkt Reservierungen. Alle Mails kommen wie gewohnt an und werden schnellstmöglich bearbeitet.
Gültige Gutscheine der Seute Deern können dann im neuen Betrieb eingelöst werden
Wir freuen uns auf ein Wiedersehen
Jens Schmidt und Mitarbeiter
The story of the bark Seute Deern, begins in 1919 with the completion of the four-mast gaff rigged schooner Elizabeth Bandi, by Gulfport Shipbuilding Co, near the mouth of the Mississippi. Marine Coal Company of New Orleans were to be the proud owners of her.
Elizabeth Bandi, had a length of 53.5m, beam 11.3m, draft of 4.57m and weighed in at 767 GRT. The ship was destined for the timber shipping trade and resulted in two doors, at the bow to allow the loading of long timbers into the hold . On her maiden voyage, laden with wood for Bahia , the captain disappeared without a trace. Did the sea take him away, or did he depart voluntarily? It will always remain an unsolved mystery. The disappearance of the captain placed a grey cloud over the crew, who shortly after left the ship and rowed away. Deserted, like a ghost ship, the schooner drifted off the Atlantic island of Saint Thomas.
After repairs in Philadelphia, she was sold in 1925 to Walter E. Reid's company from Bath, Maine. Then later in 1931 to the Finnish ship owner W.Uskanen of Sotkoma.
The course of the Elizabeth Bandi to Finland, leads the ship to transport timber from Finland to England. In 1932 its new home port was Sotkamo Finland.
In 1935-36 she was sold to another Finnish shipping company, Yrjanen and Kumpp. This lead to a change of home port to Rauma and renamed Bandi.
In 1938 she was acquired by Hamburg ship owner John T. Essberger. The Bandi, was sent to the shipyard of Blohm & Voss to be converted to a three-masted bark. On the 15th of May 1939, conversion completed, she was renamed Seute Deern. She had a sweet girl, at the bow as a figurehead and the German flag at the rear. She then commenced her new career as a freight-moving training ship, for Essberger's shipping company. During the Kiel Week, the Seute Deern was a star of the windjammer. However, with the outbreak of the Second World War, the movements of the Bark was severely restricted. From 1941 sailing only around the coastal areas near Rügen on the Bay of Greifswald. It is thanks to the Captains discretion, that the Seute Deern did not fall victim to the war.
From 1947 to 1954 she was used as a hotel and restaurant ship in Hamburg.
In 1954 she was again sold, to Koerts of Holland, where she was named Pieter Albrecht Koerts, and served as a youth hostel in her new home port Delfzijl. However, due to the high maintenance costs of 40,000Fl, she was again sold under the old name Seute Deern to Germany. She was towed to Bremerhaven in 1964, and symbolic of the city ever since.